April mummies!!!

sarah23
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hey April Mummys!
Feels fab to be in this forum and not in the pregnancy one. Thought I would never get here! My little one arrived 14 days over his due date after I was induced. He arrived at 1.38am on 29/04/10 and weighed 8lb 6.5 oz.
I am loving being a mummy but very up and down. He really seems to be great at night times. Usually the most he will wake up is every 3 hours for a feed but last night had a fab night and he went from 10pm and slept all the way through to 4.30am this morning! What we've been doing is try to keep him a bit more alert in the late afternoon early evening time and aim to put him down for about 9.30pm every night.
He feeds a lot more during the day - on average every 2 hours but sometimes longer. I am breastfeeding but finding it really hard. Sometimes it goes really well but other times I feel quite stressed as i'm feeding for ages and my little one is a real guzzler! He really drinks as if he's never going to get it again. Within a week of being born, my little one put on nearly a pound which my midwife said was nearly a record! I'm glad he's gaining weight and that he's feeding well but worries me that I just can't keep up with the feeds. My boobs are leaking like no one's business! Lol! I don't like how my partner can't help out with the feeds which means that I have to get up every time he wakes even if my oh does the nappy change. I'm going to persevere though as it's so much better for them and cheaper for us! How is everyone else finidng breast feeding?
I can't imagine how you cope with another little one to look after at the same time. Jamie is keeping me occupied himself and when he's sleeping I'm just trying to chill!
Really happy that we can all stay in touch and hope that everyone is enjoying thier new born bubs! xxxxx
Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:14 pm 
Post subject:
Sarah I lasted 10 days breastfeeding before moving Alfie onto formula. He was wanting to be fed every 40 - 60 mins as he preferred to take little and often and i just couldnt cope with his demand. I ended up expressing a 3oz bottle one night and he guzzled it all and zonked for 4 hrs. Since then Ive now got hi on Aptimel and hes drinking 4oz every 4 hours.

x

[/url]
melhonie
Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:49 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya ladies!!

Good to read how you are all doing!

My little boy James finally arrived 16 days late on the 20th april weighing 8lb 6 oz! I was induced and it took 4 days to get him out!!!

Were both doing really well though. I am also breastfeeding and he is putting on really good weight and was 9lb 4oz on friday!! Only prob is my left nipple, he has practically chewed it off!!! im in agony and dread feeding on that side!! hope it improves soon as i really want to carry on! It been so much harder than i thought it was gonna be though!!

xx

Karen78
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:48 pm 
Post subject:
Good to hear that the April mummies are getting on ok.

My LO is now nearly 6wks and is doing really well, she is sleeping at night - last night she slept from midnight to 6.30 then 7.30 till 10.15 ( I had to wake her, boobs were like footballs!)

melhonie - Try using Lanisoh cream for your sore nipples its about 10 but really good, I used when I first started BF but think my nipples are as tough as old boots now!
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:12 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Karen ... yeah i have been using that cream and it has helped but its still really painful!!! Sure i must be doing something wrong!!
Thats really good that your little one sleeps that well!! James isnt a bad sleeper really so hopefully he will be going through soon!!
xxx

Karen78
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:20 pm 
Post subject:
I only got sore nipples when Lauren was not latched on properly when I first started BF, as she was not taking a mouthful of boob just my nipple and it really hurt even bled a little.

Hope it gets better for you soon x
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:16 pm 
Post subject:
Hey everyone, I've been using the lanisoh (sp) cream did you know you can get it on prescription? Saves you a tenner - I've nearly finished my first tube!

Things are good with bubs, think he might be having a growth spurt though as he has been feeding pretty much constant for the last two days, every 2 hours pretty much and really miserable when not on the boob! He does now seem to arch his back when I'm burping him after a feed and gets cross, could it be colic or just wind?

Cannot believe how life changing it is having him, was sooo not prepared! X

melhonie
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:16 am 
Post subject:
Pepper123 that sounds just like how James is now and he is exactly same age! I was wondering what was wrong with him as he seems really upset all the time!!
I hope it is just a growth spurt!!
x

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:30 am 
Post subject:
Looks like all out lo's are suffering from wind at the min! I tried alfie on gripe water last night and seemed to work well Smile

x

[/url]
Karen78
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:53 am 
Post subject:
My LO had a growth spurt at 3 wks and she was on the boob pretty much all the time, it does pass though!.

I am sorry to hear of the babies with colic, my LO had it once and she screamed pretty much from 11am to 5am the next morning.
It was horrendous me and my OH ended up in tears too as we just could not comfort her - everyone said it would last 3 months but luckily it was only that one night, really don't think I could cope for that long.
So hope it passes soon, I was told that gripe water is the best thing to use but after they are 1month old.
Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:26 am 
Post subject:
Hello everyone

melhonie I hope your lo is a bit more settled now, Oliver seems to be. His growth spurt/boob obsession lasted about 24hours now he is back to normal feeds. Very odd. He did decide to regurgitate what looked like a whole feed this evening, but didn't seem bothered just asked for more!

Amesymc how is your lo doing? Is the gripe water helping? Oli seems to struggle to burp but I think it bothers me more than him!

Hope everyone is managing to sleep, I'm writing this with my phone at the 2am feed! I can't be the only one awake?! Hehe x

sarah23
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:52 am 
Post subject:
Hey girls,
Nice to read updates from everyone. We all seem pretty similar really! My lo is about 2 1/2 weeks old now. I'm really up and down with breastfeeding and at the mo finding things really tough. One day I feel so happy and he feeds really well and other days he can feed for about 2 hours in one go and still not be happy at the end of it! When he gets really hungry he gets himself in a right tiz and flies his hands everywhere! It's very hard to get my boob into his mouth cos he always puts his hands in the way! For some reason, on some days he just doesn't latch on properly. Does anyone else find that? It's frustrating as I know he knows how to do it and no matter how much I try to bring his head to it, or change position etc he doesn't seem to do it! I cried the other day I got so upset with it. I can't count the amount of times I've just said to my oh that I'm packing it in and putting him onto bottle but just can't bring myself to do it as I know this is best for him! It's really taking it out of me though that I've got to be there every time he wants a feed and that my oh can't help. I may have to express and try him on a bottle a bit earlier than I was planning too! I am really loving being a mummy though and love Jamie to bits. Just is so much more stressful than I could ever imagine!
I have also been using Lansinoh and find it really good! You don't have to use too much of it! I've started using it again since he hasn't been latching on! Have you girls found that your boobs aren't leaking so much anymore as mine seem to have settled a lot.
Hope you and the little ones are all doing well. Is nice to know i'm not alone! xxxxxx
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:45 pm 
Post subject:
Hello Everyone ! I have just found this thread !! YAY. I was wondering how all the April Mummies were getting on. James is 5 and a half weeks and doing well. I tried BF for 4 or so day's, but he was a lazy little thing and had to work too hard to get enough. I then expressed for 4 weeks with top up of formula, but are now on just formula. It was taking too long to express and I never had enough for even one feed. He seems to have bad wind on some feeds and takes a while to settle after a good shout. Gripe water does help, along with infacol. Last week he weighed 11lbs 8 ounces so his weight gain is good (he was 8lbs 7 ounces at birth).

I am loving being a mommy, just need a little more sleep !! AND how much washing is everyone doing?!?!? I never seem to stop!

Anyone else have a c section ? If so, do you still have a tummy? Mine seems to be taking forever to go down.

Hope you have all had a good weekend. xxx

XxSunshineMummyXx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:02 pm 
Post subject:
amesymc wrote:
Alfie is now on bottles - i couldnt keep up with his need on the breast. He now takes formula every 3 hours. Im having trouble getting him to settle on a night time at the minute. He just doesnt like to go to sleep. Last night he got his last bottle at 10.30 and then we took him upstairs and he twisted and cried until his next feed at half 1 when he finally passed out but only after i rocked him for half an hour. He doesnt like to fall asleep on his own.

Im not sure how to settle him tbh. I feed, burp, rock etc and still no luk. Any ideas?

x
Heya, i was just having a read through and tbh it sounds like he has colic to me... India had it and it can be awful, i would speak to your health visitor and she'll give you advice that is suitable for you... Congrats ladies and glad you're doing well xxx

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:21 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Natasha. Hows Joseph doing? I think he may have colic too. Im gonna ring the HV tomorrow and see if she can recommend anything more i can give hjim cos its distressing me as i cant do anything for him!!

Sarah - I found the same problem when i was feeding Alfie myself. He often had problems latching on altho some days he cud and some days he cudnt and he wud get so frustrated he would shake his head about and put his hands in front of his face!! I lasted 10 fdays and cried when i had to put hi onto bottles but i couldnt cope with the constant need for food. At once point he was wanting feeding every hour during the night and i was physically exhausted! Im so glad ive moved him now - altho the nasty wind is causing us loads of problems!! x

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Birth Club 2010 All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to:  

Community

Popular