What?*!?*! No Real Doctor Appt until I am 8 weeks???

LisaD
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:05 am 
Post subject: What?*!?*! No Real Doctor Appt until I am 8 weeks???
hi- i am new to site and thankful for someone else out there who may be clueless like me.
i found out on 12/22 that i was prego- after taking 4 EPT tests and of course- my period has not arrived yet. I thought I needed to see DOC asap- but she says that I dont need to come in until the 8th week - b/c that is when the first test can be done? Can anyone help? I know stupid question- but I have NEVER been pregnant and my husband is more clueless than me! LOL. The receptionist just said to take prenatal vitamins which I was already on and to eat and excericse, blah, blah. Also- Is it really that bad to take an Ambien?? I cannot sleep at all and have a nice bottle that I "used to" rely on. This sucks!
But- of course- in a good way! Very Happy ANY ADVICE?? Please!
booter
Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:51 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Lisa,
Let me start by saying congratulations. I am also pregnant for the first time and in my 27th week.
Doctors no longer confirm pregnancies anymore, unless specifically asked to do so. I'm guessing it's the same in the States. After I discovered I was pregnant I didn't see my Midwife until I was 7 weeks pregnant and that appointment consisted of a general chat with the Midwife while she compiled all my notes. She explained what appointments and scans to expect and also gave me a bit of information on pregnancy. I then had a dating scan at 12 weeks where I also had a series of routine blood tests and they checked my weight, height and blood pressure. They also gave me alot more indepth information about what to expect week by week during pregnancy. After this I had an appointment with my Midwife every 4 weeks just to check my blood pressure, urine and fetal heartbeat. I then had a scan at 20 weeks which was more in-depth than the first, they looked at all the organs, limbs, size etc and even told us the sex (little boy). This should be your 2nd and final scan provided they are happy with the way the baby is growing. The 4 weekly Midwife appointments continue until 30 weeks and then go to 2 weekly.
Unless absolutely nessasry they will do an 8 week scan but that is only usually if the mother has a history of miscarriage or has experienced some bleeding.
There are many books available which give you a week by week guide of what is happening during your pregnancy, with illustrations of your growing baby.
Hope this helps
All the best
Booter
lozNic
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:15 pm 
Post subject: it is confusing
When i went to see the doctor she didnt ask me to do a test, they ten to rely on the accuracy of the home preganacy tests. I was told by my midwife that folic acid is good for baby in the early stages of pregancy. But i didnt find out until i was 17 weeks so it wasnt of any use to me! The first scan is usually betwen 12 and 14 weeks, by which point the lil one already looks like a baby! Your midwife will also take blood to determine your blood group and iron levels, aswell as if there is a chance the baby could have illnesses such as down syndrome, though the chances are realy low. Good luck! Hope thats helped a little. LozNic x
gingin
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:12 am 
Post subject: first time for me too !
hi all, i have just moved from england and now live in sweden, my other half is swedish, we moved on the 10 november and to be honest so much has happened since we have been together, we knew when we met that it was right and we came off the pill after 4 months of meeting, 2 years later we move to a new life and conceive within a month ! how about that !! mad isnt it !
i completely understand/sympathise about the dr thing - when i found out my imediate reaction was book an appointment asap, but it seems that no-one is in a hurry to check you over these days, to add to my problems i have a heart murmur and i have a wrecked back, but i have an easy pregnancy so far,few side effects, one morning of sickness and my "mum-in-law" to be suggested having juice and a cracker before i get up in the morninig it worked ! i also have a new puppy - which means i walk and get fresh air every day
no idea when i am going to the clinic to meet midwife as its a different system here - my partner is organising it !! bottom line is i feel fine so i guess everything is good
this is how i feel - you know that day after a hangover when you feel ok but still a bit icky - i also definately now feel my body changing - already my top button on my jeans is undone !
what does anyone else feel in the early weeks ?
Patzyf
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:34 am 
Post subject: Drs
Hi LisaD

I was also miffed about the lack of speed in the system,in all the books you willl read they keep saying how important it is to get early anti natal care but every where i go seems as if they cant be bothered ! I know its not the case its just that they see us every day and they know best .I went to my Drs but only saw the nurse who filled out forms for the midwife then I got to see her at 9 wks then I had my scan and bloods at 13 wks which was a very bad experience with a very rude receptionist and im due to get my blood results and have a medical at 16 wks (next week) but then my next scan will be 20wks and eventually i get to see the midwife again at 26wks so its kind of a waiting game now at this stage what pisses me off is that when ever you see anyone they seem to think that you should know everything as its my first im bloody clueless so i feel so silly asking even the simplist of question anyone else have the same experience???
booter
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:39 am 
Post subject:
Lets face it guys, the NHS is a mess. I don't know what the Swedish health system is like Gingin but I bet it's better than the NHS. I'm 31 weeks pregnant and have only had 2 scans for the entire duration, one at 12 weeks and one at 20 weeks. I haven't seen my little bundle for 11 weeks now, I think they should do atleast 3 scans. There is no communication between medical staff and the midwives just add to the confusion by speaking to you in medical jargon.
I had my anti-natal class last night and the midwife holding the class was saying how they used fill up the birthing pool with buckets of water and kettles because it took too long otherwise. Not surprisingly health and safety soon put a stop to that. They advised us to buy our own small fishing nets if we wish to use the birthing pool so that we can pick up any 'debris' if you know what I mean. I suppose one good thing is that we weren't aloud to tour the maternity ward because our hospital is still on high alert due to the Norovirus, so in that respect they are minimising the spread of infection which is very good.
I felt similar to you in the early stages Gingin, although I had severe nausea from 6-9 weeks which wiped me out and mean't I couldn't even go to work. I was wearing maternity trousers by week 11. I have to say to you, if you feel good now, that's nothing compared to when you feel the baby start to kick for the first time. It's Fantastic!! My tummy now regularly goes like in the beginning of Aliens and it's very funny. He regularly plays football with my bladder which can be a little uncomfortable but I sit for hours watching him move about.
Sorry, I could yap for hours about my pregnancy. I'll shut up now, lol
gingin
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:48 pm 
Post subject: hi guys,
i went to the clinic today and met my midwife, she will be "my" midwife from now till the end, but in sweden its a very different system and to be honest i am so relieved i no longer live in england with the NHS etc, saying that i am orig from Jersey and we have a good system there also, so yes the gvmt need to get act together ! still no tests, i go for a full medical next week to have all bloods etc done so they get a very complete picture of you first !! next we have to have a NUPe test whatever that is, apparently its for women aged 33-38 they look at the neck of the baby ?? god only knows. First ultrasound is week 17 girls.. thats 6wks/ages away !! they rely on mother nature here its about diet and exercise but they seem to pay more attention at the end also ! saying that today i feel much more like my old self, more energy etc, am eating for britain and its all healthy stuff am shocked but i dont fancy any of the rubbish i usually love like crisps etc ! all that worries me is that if there is anything wrong by the time its picked up its a long way down the line if you all know what i mean. girls if any of you are sick in the morning try having juice and biscuit/crackers about 20mins before you get up - it helps get your sugar level on track before you go vertical - it worked wonders for me
XX
stephanieclarke
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:12 am 
Post subject:
my partners aunty is a coordintor in midwifery at our loacl hspital and if i told her about that she would be furious....his mum is a health visitor also,so luckily i have lots of people around for my queries
you should have seen a doctor or midwife to find out your due dates and had a small examination,between 8-10 weeks,you should have the midwife and you+husband listen to the babies heart beat,then at week12-16 you hsould have your first scan,unless youre unsure of your dates or have had previous problems in pregnancy

it doesnt seem right to me,i think you should seek second opinion,maybe ring the hospital and talk to an oncall midwife there

i have already been seen and exmained,im only 4/5 weeks!!!! Exclamation
gingin
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:29 pm 
Post subject:
it may have been my mistake, but i have an an hour apptm next wedn when i meet midwife for tests etc and also i have appt at same time to see a doctor, i guess i will find out more then ! it could be a language thing, but my midwife trained in england then worked in the US so i think i am in good hands ??
Chutzpah
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 am 
Post subject:
In Basingstoke they don't even do dating scans any more!

We're having to pay for ours to be done privately!
carrot
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 am 
Post subject:
I am 8/9 weeks pregant and still have'nt seen a midwife My doctor is waiting till my blood results come back for dieabeties sorry about the spelling I am worried as my cousin is 2 weeks ahead of me and she has seen her midwife 3 times and had a scan My doctor just took my word for it that I am pregnant any one eles having the same problems?
booter
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:09 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Carrot,
You should have had your first visit by your midwife by now. I was 6 weeks when I first saw the midwife but then I didn't see anyone again untill my first scan at 12 weeks. You should perhaps contact your GP surgery and explain that you haven't been contacted by the midwife as yet.
GP's generally don't confirm pregnancies anymore, they usually go by your word as pregnancy tests are very accurate when it comes to positive results these days.
Good luck
Ruthuk
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:23 pm 
Post subject:
Carrot,

I am in the same boat. Doctor took my word for my pregnancy at 5 weeks and then said I should ask the Midwife all the questions that I had and that I shouldn't worry that I thought I might be having an ectopic pregnancy. Just heard from the midwife at 8 weeks and don't get a first appointment until 13 Feb(10 weeks)! Depends where you live I guess. I Googled my local hospital to find out what I could about it and found out that I won't have a scan until 14 weeks.
carrot
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:44 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for replying back to me it is my GP who wants to wait before I see a midwife due 2 my blood tests for dieabeaties but I still have'nt heard anything from him he said he will ring me but if I don't hear anything by tomorrow I am going to ring up and see what is happening I just want to know that everything is ok with myselt and baby is that too much to ask for??? Love Carrot (Sarah) XXX
gingin
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:34 am 
Post subject:
sarah, its not too much to ask at all ! i feel exactly the same way - but i am in week 11 and i am only going for medical today (bloods etc) i will see both the doctor and my midwife - so i finally will get a better picture of what is to happen etc we also have our first ultrasound for 12 Feb- so finally its all coming together and we can begin to tell friends and family !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular