What?*!?*! No Real Doctor Appt until I am 8 weeks???

Erinv
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:15 am 
Post subject:
I was a week late and 4 + preg tests, I told my docs office and they booked me in the next day to confirm the pregnancy and ask family history, risk factors, previous pregnancies etc, sent me for blood work and set up an appointment for an official pre-natal exam in two weeks. I would hope that whatever country you are seeing your doctor/midwife is in that atleast a basic history for risk factors (ex: ectopic)is taken as soon as possible to better care for you and baby.
Nicjill
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:52 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I am currently 7/8 weeks pregnant. Did a home pregnancy test, booked in to see my doctor expecting her to confirm but she said they don't bother these days as home tests are so accurate, so congratulations, and come back at 10 weeks to see the midwife. I was in & out in a few minutes, I understand that home tests are accurate but it would have been nice to have it confirmed properly and to have discussed things. As a first time mum-to-be I have no idea what to expect and am relying on second-hand knowledge from family & friends. She didn't even tell me what foods to avoid or anything that could be dangerous so by the time I had my first appointment with the midwife, I could have done some damage without even realising. My best support has been baby books and the net! I think mums-to-be, especially those of us who haven't done it before, should have more support in the early stages, if not to check the baby, at least to help us prepare for what is to come.
gingin
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:30 pm 
Post subject:
hey nicjill, i think all us first time mums feel the same way about lack of information etc that why we have GP's etc isnt it ??? thankfully i am not from England and when i was living there i didnt need to see a doctor/nhs !!
I do however think your GP has acted very unprofessionally and against the rules of conuct they are governed by ! If the GP's are too busy to offer advice then you should have been seen by someone who does have time - personally i would drop a letter of complaint to your local Health Authorities complaints office - as this is pretty serious and there are definate guidelines for diet and lifestyle for mums to be which you should have been advised about -its easy to blame the NHS but the bottom line is if people dont write and let them know about these things they wont know that its happening
sorry to harp on - there are lots of people on here who will help you too
xx
carrot
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya to everyone,I have finally got an appointment with the midwife on monday when I will be 11 weeks She is coming to my house as her clinic is full and thats the only way she can get to see me.I had a scare at the weekend and my husband rushed me down to the hospital and they said they's not much they can do for me and sent me home and told me to take pain killers and if I start bleeding to coming back Which thank god the pain stopped and I did'nt bleed so fingers croossed all is well having a week off work been told to rest so thats what I am doing eating crisps Very Happy Love Carrot (Sarah)
linziemumtobe
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:37 pm 
Post subject: Basingstokee!!
Heya im in Basingstoke & I had a dating scan!! Just had to pay for the piccies! Just letting you know!!
GGmommy
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:10 pm 
Post subject: Neglected!!
I am so glad to read that other people feel the same as me, although really disappointed that we are all being let down! I am about 5/6 weeks pregnant. I found out quite early as i just "felt differently" so did a test. Went to the docs, really excited and nervous and they just said well done and come back to see the midwife at 8 weeks. I feel really let down. Everywhere you hear how important the first trimester is and yet no-one wants to know or help you out until you are nearly through it! Is it the NHS' way of saving money, they dont see people until they are through the danger zone and can restrict numbers??? Sorry for being cynical. There are so many things that worry me, i constantly have period pain, all the time and when i called the docs after my other half telling me to, they told me to call the midwife, who then told me not to call her on that number as it was for emergencies only!!!
It is such a worrying time and people need a bit of reassurance, not total isolation!!! Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular