Am pregnant and single...help

titch31
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:06 pm 
Post subject: Am pregnant and single...help
Hi I am 31, and have spent last 7 years thinking i couldnt have kids, I now find myself pregnant and single....I am over the moon as i always wanted a child of my own and thought it would never happen, but am also scared to death.
I work full time and have a mortgage to pay, i have no idea what i am entitled to or what to expect.... I guess i am also a little worried about what people may think with my being single, and how i will cope with nasty comments....any help or advice would be appriciated
KirstiePickles
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:53 am 
Post subject: Hi there...
Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy.

Have a look on citizens advice website, department for work and pensions, type maternity rights and benefits into google.

Mat rights depend on how long you have worked for your employer as well as other things. You may also be entitled to extra such as sure start mat grant.

There are plenty of books in bookshops about pregnancy and many do talk about single parents and give advice oon how to get everything you are entitled to.

Not much help I fear??? But good luck and enjoy your pregnancy.

Kirstie, into the 16th week and have no bump!!??
titch31
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:03 am 
Post subject:
Thanks Kirstie, help appriciated..... i had a scan couple of days ago to make sure i wasnt ectopic, the baby was only 8mm, but i saw his/her heartbeat.........amazing feeling!!!
Donna23
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:39 pm 
Post subject:
firstly congrats Very Happy dont worry i was a single mum for nearly five years and i loved it i went through pregnancy on my own to, once my baby was born i didnt care what people thought of me i was on cloud nine with my little girl and i had her all to myself, midwifes are really supportive and will help you with any other worries you have but dont worry abou anything it all just falls in to place enjoy being pregnant and enjoy your baby when the bundle of joy comes along Donna x
CHELLE9
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:26 pm 
Post subject: Re: Am pregnant and single...help
hi titch my name is chelle and i am a newcomer to this site and also 10 weeks pregnant,

congrats on your news Very Happy

With reference to the pay scale it depends on length of employment, etc but i do know that you have payments of SMP of 6 weeks of 90 % on your average weekly earnings on ordinary maternity pay and your company wages dept works this out for you and the remaining 33 weeks is paid SMP flat rate or 90% of your average earnings depending which is less. The SMP is at 118 per week as it is going up in april 2008 from 112. if you look on the web site for working directives it will give you more info. Thats how I found out the info.

Don't worry bout what other people will say because you will be too busy with your bundle of joy to care. Good luck for the future.
Debp
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:23 pm 
Post subject: Re: Am pregnant and single...help
Hi there, Try not too worry you will be fine you will get lots of help with tax credits and family allowance is 70ish a month too. Go to www.hmrc.gov.uk and you can put your own personal details in to let you know how much tax credits you could get.
lindablair
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:03 am 
Post subject:
Hi!

I am in the same boat, single, well, the father is in America and we only started out recently, but have been friends for years... for day to day, I'm doing this all on my own as well hehe. I'm 28 next month and I figured that this might be my only chance so I'm going for it. Well I thought that after a lot of thought and stressing and not so casually of course haha.

My main concern was the "I'm having a baby and my work will probably frown cos I'm not married" but right now, they are really cool, but I was going to be promoted but I doubt that will happen now... shame cos I need the money more than ever!

As long as you have a good support network of friends or family around you, you should be fine, my friends have been awesome and I'm totally suprised at some peoples reactions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular