AskBaby on Sky News!!

k175ty
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:36 pm 
Post subject:
ooooh this is great Very Happy
well, we chose Joe Alan for our son(even though he's not born yet). Joe is my great grandad's name(who will be 80 in october when my baby is due) and was also my fella's grandad's name. Alan was my grandad's name-i was realy close to this grandad before he died after battling cancer for years-he was also my best friend and i always said that if i had a lil boy - he would be named after him!! Smile xxx
Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:36 pm 
Post subject:
How exciting.

We chose Poppy because it isn't too common but also isn't too weird and unusual. Didn't want a name that everyone would question how to spell it etc... Think the influence of me being a teacher and seeing lots of children with weird names played a part. Her middle name is Sarah, as that is my middle name and also just a traditional name we liked and that went well with the name Poppy.

Good luck tonight, I'll be watching.

LD

Doddsy
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:45 pm 
Post subject:
I chose Paige as i was watching Knotts landing at the time i went into labour and macy as my friend who died loved Macy Gray xx
tealbutterfly
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:52 pm 
Post subject:
We have chosen Malachi. We have decided to stick to biblical names, they never go out of fashion. not simply biblical names though, we think the meaning is very important. Choosing names is a very important and serious thing and people shouldn't just treat their children like they are accersories, children grow up, become adults and have to live with their names. There are lots of beautiful names out there...but there are also a lot of ridculous.

i'll be watching x
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:04 pm 
Post subject:
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your support however i've just spoken to Sky news and they don't need to interview us anymore Sad

Bit disappointing but hopefully we'll make it onto the big screen soon!

Thanks again for all your responses.

Han x
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:10 pm 
Post subject:
oh as fi thats so unfair!

crystaljo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:23 pm 
Post subject:
Wow , thats great! Will also hopefully raise the sites profile too!

My thoughts on babys names.... There seems to be a definate divide between those who 'dare to be different' and those who feel safer sticking to tradition.
You will proberbly find that the same attitude is reflected in these peoples homes and the way they dress and express themselves in other areas.
Just to extend the debate - have any members got an unusual name? How do they feel about it? Has it ever caused them any problems?

Going way back in history, it was the 'done thing' to name sons after fathers etc it was a strong family tradition, now with the 'nuclear' family and the breakdown in what was considered 'the traditional family' our choice of names for our children seem much more about 'individual identity' than strong family connections. I feel this represents our change in culture, for example, people tend to name their children after celebrities or for the meaning of the name - this also reflects a change in peoples belief systems too, for example, people are less likely to choose a biblical name because of their faith alone - but more likely to opt for a name with a spiritual meaning to them personally.
This shows a strong lean towards individual expression and less 'conformity' to tradition, a good benchmark to our 'multi-cultural' society.
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:24 pm 
Post subject:
interview aint happening now crytaljo:(

crystaljo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:27 pm 
Post subject:
Yeah i saw that after i posted - it took me so long to type that - one handed whilst eating a big bowl of sponge pudding and custard lol!

Shame about that anyway - i still think its a good topic of discussion though, how and why we chose the names we do and how it reflects on our society
marcandtash
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:04 pm 
Post subject:
hi

we have chosen afew first names so still deciding but if its a boy we r having alan as a middle name after my step dad who died last year

tashxxx
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:57 pm 
Post subject:
bugger - pregnancy brain stops me from having some intellegence hehe

only just saw this post and have been sat watching the news ddooohhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! how daft do i feel - gonna have some choccie to make me feel better hehe any excuse

oh well han maybe next time

tash xxx
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:59 pm 
Post subject: xx
bohoo. maybe all us regular ladys cud come on another time n say how askbaby is jus great lol

oh well maybe another time

WELL DONE ASKBABY 4 NEARLY GETTIN THERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular