any ideas?...

puss2
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:07 pm 
Post subject: any ideas?...
any ideas on how to potty train an autistic toddler?? my 2 1/2 year old is severely autistic (little communication skills, non-social and llittle understanding, no words) i can see he`s ready, his nappies are dry most of the day, he can take his nappy off and i can tell when he`s going in his nappy. thing is, ive introduced a potty, but he doesnt understand what its for. he just puts things in it, like a box. i cant make him sit on it because he hates to be picked up or handled by others d he sreas and gets scaed. his thinking is so rigid and he cant cope very well with changes, however small. it gets me abit concerned because he`ll be starting nursery and needs to be potty trained.
xxxxlollypopxxxx
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:35 pm 
Post subject:
couldn't you, and your partenr try showing him, by sitting on it? if you can get him to sit on it with his clothes on, he might slowly warm to it?you say that he wont be touched at all because it scares him, but how are you changing his nappies? or is it just a big struggle? keep trying and he might get it, you could also try getting some kiddy books with pictures of them sitting on the potty, and give him rewards when he sits on it.
hope this helps xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular