pulsing fontanel

MummyAndPeppaPig
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:02 pm 
Post subject: pulsing fontanel
Is it true or just a myth that when the babies fontanel pulses it means that they are dehydrated?
Freyas is pulsing, not a lot but you can deffinatly see it..
i am breastfeeding and have read that a breastfeed baby does not need water as the first milk is thirst quenching. But my mum keeps telling me to give Freya some water to drink. I dont want to do this as i dont want her to get use to the bottle, but at the same time i dont want to her health to suffer.
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
Kaitlins pulses all of the time, i just thought it was normal. It pulses more when she is asleep! I didnt think it meant anything bad?!
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:16 pm 
Post subject:
You can actually get teats that mimick your nipple. I would give her a drink as I found Kieran is thirsy all the time. I know he is bottle fed but you will have to think when we ae having warm days or when the heating is on they will get dehydrated just like us.

MummyAndPeppaPig
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:21 pm 
Post subject:
I know what you mean Kimmy, but i also read that our milk adapts to the heat changes, we produce more of the thirst quenching stuff when it gets warmer, so we can feed them more often? I think i may just change to bottle feeding to stop myself stressing out Rolling Eyes Laughing
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:48 pm 
Post subject:
Lewis's did it all the time when he was newborn. I tho9ught it was to do with the skull forming together.
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:52 pm 
Post subject: xx
leles does this (do u mean top ov head like plusers) my mum sed it was normal so i dint worry sud i x
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:09 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Tracie,
I'm not sure about the pulsing fontanel myth but I do know that the midwives in the hosp and my community one said when I was breastfeeding that breast milk was all the baby needs cos as you said it changes to adapt for the baby when it's hot etc.
I would ask your HV just in case tho cos I know a lot of the healthcare peeps have diff opinions on rights and wrongs and what you should do. It sometimes helps Lewis's windyness to bring up an extra burp just in case you wanted to think about it for that
xxxxxxxxxx
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:10 pm 
Post subject:
yea dont worry about the pulsing, its very normal. When a babe is dehydrated that area will be very sunken, there wont be any mistaking it. Also, if that area looks raised like a blister type thing that also needs medical attention. Gosh that sounds quite dramatic, I didnt mean for it to sound so scary because it hardly happens, its just a sign that babe is sick. Hunters pulses away all day, sometimes all you can see is his hair going up and down Laughing
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:03 am 
Post subject:
It's completely normal, Poppy's does it all the time. If you do want to give water, try dribbling it off a spoon, then you don't have to use a bottle, that's what I did once or twice when it was really hot a few weeks ago, although breast milk is meant to be all they need.

LD

DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:06 am 
Post subject:
totally normal hun don't worry

if you really want to try giving water, try spoon or cup. Isaac has never had water from a bottle - when he was smaller it was from the bottle cap after feeds, and now a tommee tippee cup.
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:55 am 
Post subject:
Ok thank you girls.
You all must think im a complete neurotic mummy Laughing
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:58 am 
Post subject:
lol

is there any other kind? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:28 pm 
Post subject: xx
lol tracie yh were all mental lol
somoslagente
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:07 am 
Post subject: Re: pulsing fontanel
Tracie85 wrote:
Is it true or just a myth that when the babies fontanel pulses it means that they are dehydrated?
Freyas is pulsing, not a lot but you can deffinatly see it..
i am breastfeeding and have read that a breastfeed baby does not need water as the first milk is thirst quenching. But my mum keeps telling me to give Freya some water to drink. I dont want to do this as i dont want her to get use to the bottle, but at the same time i dont want to her health to suffer.

they said at my antinatal classes NOT to give breast feeding babies water

they get enough water from their milk????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular