I'm so worried

katyanne81
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:51 am 
Post subject: I'm so worried
Hi everyone, I'm new to ask baby but so glad I found this forum as I need to talk to someone who may be going through the same as me. I am 33 weeks pregnant and so far everything appears fine at my appointments etc, baby is moving everyday and bump is growing well. Anyway I'll get to the point, I am really worried because I think I may have drunk a little more alcohol than I should have on a few occasions, during the first trimester before I new I was pregnant I was quite a binge drinker, when I found out obviously this stopped but I have still allowed myself a few glasses of wine or lagers now and again. I suppose I have been a little bit naive about fetal alcohol syndrome- I thought it was something that babies got who were born to alcoholics but I saw an episode of Jeremy Kyle yesterday and this lady on there had a son born with the condition, she said that she only binged on alcohol 5 or 6 times during her pregnancy and that each binge was a bottle or two of wine spread over a weekend. After seeing this I am going out of my mind with worry now, I couldn't live with myself if I have damaged my little one all due to a few thoughtless drinks. Sorry for the length of my post, I just need to get it off my chest, I've talked to my partner about it and he says everything will be fine but I can't stop thinking about it. Any advice would be really appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my post. Katy xxxx
sophie2008
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:02 am 
Post subject:
My first suggestion is to speak to your midwife and tell them that you have been drinking. They may offer you a scan and look at the baby for growth, and any sign of disfigurment or disability. I hope all is ok, and if your measuring right and movement is felt your baby is probably ok, but still as about it if it is a concern.

My 2nd suggestion is to drink non alcoholic drinks.

Kopparberg Non Alcoholic Pear Cider
Bavaria Premium Non-alcoholic Malt
Bavaria Wit Non-alcoholic Wheat Beer
Becks Non Alcoholic beer
Cobra Non-alcoholic Beer

Here are a list of widely available non alcoholic beers and ciders. They taste the same, and you are not putting you r baby at risk. Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's all sell them.
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:21 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your reply, I had my 20 week scan and baby was perfectly fine, as I said before when I found out about my pregnancy I stopped binge drinking (when I say binge drinking I mean going out at the weekend with friends and getting tipsy after not drinking all week)
I am not looking for alternative drinks for alcohol, I dont need alcohol and i can take it or leave it.
I am worried because I was unaware that such little alcohol can damage your unborn baby and as I said in my first post, I did drink more than I should have before I was aware of my pregnancy. I have since drunk little in moderation. I was asking for advice and reassurance really that someone may have been in a similar situation and gone on to have a healthy baby, after seeing that lady on jk it has really worried me and of course I will be sure to mention it to my midwife at my next app. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

sophie2008
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:03 pm 
Post subject:
I havent been in the situation as i dont drink, but i do know a bit about it as i studied it on a course i did, and also a relative drank ALOT and to reassure you - her baby was fine. She however had to have councelling to deal with her drinking. Her baby was born with a normal birth weight, and was a very healthy lil baby. The hospital procedure was to take the baby to be assed and monitored to assess that no damage wa done, and she was in there for 3 days. But she was fine, If the lil baby was fine after such severe alcohol abuse you can be assured that not in all cases of drinking regardless of amount , the baby doenst always end up with F.A.S. Also, from my studies i learnt that this is the case- there is no hard set rule that a single drink or two damages the baby. Its not to say that its great to get drunk, but its ok to have a glass of wine, or a beer occassionally.

I hope this helps.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular