Biting 15month old

Shaesmummy
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:03 pm 
Post subject: Biting 15month old
I don't know if this is the right place to post but can any one suggest some helpful tips i have a 15 month old boy he is really good USUALLY but this past week he has bitten 8 children in day care for no reason he was not provoked he just see's the others playing goes to them pushes them over and bites them right in between the shoulders. I refuse to bite him back please has anyone any non violent ways to help
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:17 am 
Post subject:
yer i dont think biting bak will help. but cant giv u any advice i have never experienced this.

MummyAndPeppaPig
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:17 am 
Post subject:
Is he only biting whilst at nursery?
Have the people who look after him at nursery told you how they are dealing with his behaviour?
children need consistancy, so when dealing with this behaviour you need to make sure that you and the people at nursery are doing it the same way. He is still quite young so he may just be testing his boundaires or looking for attention. I would just ignore him after he has bitten and give lots of attention and cuddles to the child he bit.
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:12 pm 
Post subject:
yes we have a close relationship with the nursery staff and deal with the biting by removing him from the situation. Thank you for the reassurance i do hope he is just testing the water.
my mother in law thinks he is trying to show he is the top dog !
Thank you for all advice and comments
Jewbell1
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:41 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I have terrible bruises on my arm from my lil girl were she bites me!! Sometimes she seems to bite when she is really tired or giving me affection. I have tried to say No and have recently tried to ignore her. Recently, she has now tried to bite other children, which I am hoping she will stop doing by October, as my mum who is a childminder is going to be looking after her part-time, I am just hoping she doesn't go around biting the other children that my mum looks after.

She also loves pinching and pulling hair!
Shaesmummy
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:07 pm 
Post subject:
must be a trend my son is also a hair pulling nipper ! well lets hope thier phases go soon. Good luck with yours jewbell1 x x
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:33 am 
Post subject:
my dauhgter has just started biting at nursery too only done it the once and hope its the last time.

mummyof3sweethearts
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:57 am 
Post subject:
Hello

My son went through that. dont worry. every child at nursery has bitten so your not alone! Hes come back with bite marks on his belly and back, but if he gives hes going to get it back. and i know nursery deal with it well. your son will soon get bored of it. does he ever do it to you? my son never did, i think he did it once and he see the look on my face that i was hurt, he didnt do it again. the more fuss you make over it he'll do it even more. i hope he stops soon, its not nice when you have to keep apoligising to other parents is it.

lisa x
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:02 am 
Post subject:
my daughter aint done it to me hope she doesent either. and hope its only once.

Shaesmummy
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:29 pm 
Post subject:
He won't bite me but he does bite my husband trying to push boundries i think wants to be the top dog lol
Laughing
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:13 pm 
Post subject:
My lil girl went to bite me this morning, but when I said No, she blew a raspberry on my arm instead! Then she gave her daddy a nice scram on his face!!

I'm sure they will all eventually stop doing it once they realise the they don't get the attention from it.

Goodluck!
Atana
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:20 pm 
Post subject:
My second son went through a biting stage at abioout 16 - 18 months. he bit me and his dad, but it was his big brother who got the worst bites. I used to wish that he would bite back! In the end I stopped it by giving my older son a biscuit every time he got bitten and my younger one soon got the message. He's three now and a cheeky little thing, but very gentle and never deliberatly hurts anyone.
vmcg
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:35 pm 
Post subject:
i know that your son is young but don't remove him from the situation, yes tell him not to and let him see how he has hurt the other wee one, whike you are showering the other wee one with attention. by taking him "away" he his getting the one on one attention he is craving! I have four daughter and my two eldest went through this stage, so there have been a few tears shed in this house!!! hope that helps a bit
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:20 pm 
Post subject:
Ive also heard it can be a sign of not being able to communicate across what he is saying or feeling. He may be trying to do something in nursery like share a toy and he cant express that so uses biting.

Im sure its just a phase, but im sure he will learn his boundries especially as your so keen to deal with it. Very Happy
xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:51 am 
Post subject:
I gotta say thank you for trying to sort this problem out Shaesmummy
I go to a toddler group and there are so many older kids that constantly hit or bite the other often youger children several times Toby has been smacked on the head and the childs mother has done nothing just left them to get on with it without even apologising to me!
I admire the fact that you are trying to sort the problem out, I think the nursery are doing the right thing by taking him away and giving him a time out whenever he does it, I personally would say in a very firm voice you do not do that it is not very nice, and tell them to apologise to who they've bitten or hit and then give them a time out to think about what they have done
xx
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular