Baby Led Weaning Ideas and Tips!

wriggler2008
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:22 pm 
Post subject: Baby Led Weaning Ideas and Tips!
Hi all,

Anyone wanting to try out BLW? Or you have, and want to share ideas?

Well here's the place to do it!

Baby led weaning is becoming more and more popular, but so many people are unsure of what it is and how to get started. Hopefully this sticky will help!

Please share all your ideas here and feel free to ask questions about blw, so we can all help each other out!

This is a thread for people who want to try or who already do baby led weaning. Feel free to share meal ideas and tips but if we could keep it more informative rather than discussion/debate on the pros and cons then that would be cool, thanks!! Very Happy
StaceyRD
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:30 pm 
Post subject:
Yay sticky!! Very Happy

I have decided to go down the BLW route with babe as I have noooo idea whatsoever what to do regarding purees, and that worried me for a while. Isabelle stares everytime I'm eating, and even though I have introduced baby rice/rusk in milk/porridge, she seems disinterested.

Since giving her tastes of "my" food she loves it!
So far she's tried banana which she absolutely loves, apple, orange, melon, cucumber (another favourite) and a few more. She also loves munching on a dry rusk. Am taking things as she wants which I really enjoy.

I'm stuck for "real" food ideas so will be great to get some from here!
xx

MarioAndStuntChicken
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:57 am 
Post subject:
Kinda did a mixture with C. Did purees from4 months but at 6 months did a mix of purees and finger foods and by 8 months was no longer mashing or pureeing and C ate everything we did just chopped up more finely. I guess it was kinda partial BLW if you like but i didnt know that was what it was called. Looking back now im glad i did it that way as as so easy and she also managed with cutlery as a bonus and is now learning to self manage her cutlery.

Def gonna do it again with another. Plus pureeing is soooooooooo dull

Ideas I used for C that she loved were

Broccoli florets steamed
Well cooked pasta tubes
Cheese triangles (mmm nice and squishy)
Slices of egg
Bread and peanut butter
Home made sausage and red pepper sausage rolls

StaceyRD
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:25 pm 
Post subject:
Were those ideas all from a certain age, or from when you started weaning?

Also, are they allowed toast from the start of weaning? Isabelle made to grab mine earlier but I wasn't sure - especially since it was brown with bits in?

gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:13 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya, all those things are fine from six months. but as isobelle is only just five months, probs best to start off just with fruit and veg. Saying that though, the first thing Sophia had was a piece of my toast and she was just five months when she started!

Before six months, try to avoid gluten, but there is gluten free pasta you can get instead.Also avoid meats till six months as they are not ready to digest this before then.

At five months sophia enjoyed avocado, broccoli, carrots, banana, pear, potato, cheese. Cant think what else.

At the start, i used to get through the meaty bits of my meal and leave a few veggie bits then have her up on my lap and let her tuck in to what she wanted from my plate. I say 'tuck in' but at first it was really just playing!

HTH,

Mandy xx
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:05 am 
Post subject:
Tyler loves cooked broccoli sticks and carrot sticks and sweet potato sticks (Any fruit or veg sticks actually) but he absolutely loved avocado on toast fingers YUM

I got some Heinz biscotti things for him and he loves them got all excited when we gave it to him. Also loves rusks.

Am yet to try cheese sticks but I'm pretty sure he'll love them too as he likes all his other cheesy flavoured food Smile

simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:35 am 
Post subject:
yay a BLW sticky!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
thankyou xXx

well Kieran has taken to BLW really well, he loves his grub!! lol
i have lieterally just gave him a smaller portion of whatever we are having.. well sort of, his milk allergy makes it a bit more challenging,
yesterday he had porridge (made with his own milk) and banana, for lunch he had pasta, tuna and sweetcorn, which the cat loved as he threw the tuna everywhere, and then he had grilled chicken, sweet potato mash, with roast peppers, onion, garlic, corgettes and cherry toms.

justs a question though... im confused about wholegrain, because i have always used wholegrain everything!! bread, pasta, rice, even down to pita bread and wraps, but, recently while doing an assignment for college on healthy eating, i found a lot of sources that say not to give children too many wholegrain products as it fills them up quicker and for longer so they take less of other foods and therefore miss out on vital nutrients those foods would provide, so do i swap my wholegrain products for white versions? even though the wholegrain products are better then white versions??
really hope that makes sense... and sorry it was so long! Embarassed
xXx
gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:48 am 
Post subject:
hmm, not sure really. i also have read not too much whlegrain. when i saw your other post i tried to find the blw book as it mentions in there, but seem to have lost it. Crying or Very sad

i would say give a mixture of both white and wholegrain.

sorry not much help,

Mandy
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:55 pm 
Post subject:
I made fritatas the other day! They were excellent for self feedign!

For those that dont know what they are, they are like a baked omlette. You grease a fairy cake tin, whip up your eggs and cook any filling you want in them the pour the whole lot into the fairy cake holes. They take about ten to fifteen mins to cook and sophia loved them.

Its quite a good way of making smaller veggies easier to hold and get to the mouth too as stuck together by the egg.

sorry, bit rambly but just thought quite a useful idea for those struggling for finger food ideas.

MAndy xx
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:30 am 
Post subject: Starting BLW
Right I have been spoon feeding Sophia for a while as she needed it but this morning while I was having some toast she just grabbed it and started munching on it now i wonna know if I can start BLW and how would I go about it with her purees ? Any advice will b gr8 thanks XX
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:10 am 
Post subject:
I started Isabelle on baby rice/rusk in milk/baby poridge a few weeks back, but have stopped those now and she's BLW'ed. She's been fine with the transistion - she stopped letting me spoon feed her apart from yoghurts and loves munching on fruit and veg/whatever she can grab. Maybe you could introduce less purees and more letting her help herself to your foods? Swap her meals like that and see how she gets on?

Fritatas sound good, gruffalo, I'll give those a go in the next few weeks!

Today she's jsut had some of my toast and a baby yoghurt. I had the same so we munched together, was messy fun! She'll probably have a munch on a banana later or a carrot stick. I'm taking things slow though. Is that alright to do?

I'm getting paranoid at the moment, because Isabelle loves to munch on a rusk, but someone said about biscotti biscuits, which she loves. But everytime I offer one Isabelle bites first thing and gets a huge chunk stuck. Because of her teeth she's biting whatever she gets so easier to choke. Should I just relax and not be so paranoid about it?

How would/when can you introduce cheese?
x

xxJadexx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:40 am 
Post subject:
taramascara you could use the puree as dips, or spread it onto toast or pitta breads etc.

or in sandwiches

staceyrd about the choking it seems scary when it happens but you will probably notice that she's not actually choking just gagging and babies gag refleces are much further forward than ours to stop them choking on foods... when tyler gags (he still does now and again) I wait... and within a few seconds out comes a big chunk of food he forgot to chew, Obv if he stopped breathing or was actually choking I'd freak out Very Happy

as for cheese it's after 6 months they can have it, the sticks of cheese might be a bit hard I give tyler grated bits of cheese which he loves or you acn give the laughing cow or dairylea triangles... messy but tasty!!

StaceyRD
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:44 pm 
Post subject:
I had wondered about the cheese triangles, thanks, will stock up on those and maybe offer one next week Smile

taramascara
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 pm 
Post subject:
Well after the success of the toast monster yesterday this morning she had some banana for brek didnt choke but did gag a few times and the biggest bit of banana came back out again Rolling Eyes But she really enjoyed sucking it

Had her normal lunch of puree and then for dinner I gave her puree and I broke a rusk in half not thinking 4 1 minute she would eat it and she only left the bits that were too smal and were left in her hands it was in her hair all over me what fun and she loved it

Bring on the veg and other stuff thats it now no goin back Laughing
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:51 am 
Post subject:
sounds fab! BLW is so messy and fun!
Tylers been having his normal breakfast and then crawling over to me to nick my toast. he still bites too much off and gags but then out comes a big lump which he just sucks back in.

It's so hard getting used ot not panicking when it happens but once you realise they can sort it out themselves it's gerat fun!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular