Baby Led Weaning Ideas and Tips!

StaceyRD
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:09 pm 
Post subject:
Can LO's have scrambled egg/mashed potato?
I know they can have weetabix with our milk in from 6 months, is that right? So would it be the same for the above?
Trying to think of more ideas! Had a slow few days, Isabelle's interest in food has been low, but that's okay, not running into anything, happy to go slow! She loved her toast earlier though, wasn't too happy that OH stole half of it though Laughing
I did offer some fruit in a pack I bought out, but she was more interested in scrunching the crinkly wrapper up. When that was gone though, she devoured a bit of apple like there was no tomorrow!
Is chewing everything though, is that right for a 6 month old (nearly, is mad how fast it's gone Shocked )? Guess I kind of assumed she'd still mainly suck. Does have three teeth through now, think that's why she constantly bites everything.

SemoAndHaribo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:13 pm 
Post subject:
Gonna try some brocili florets as that seems to be a winner with most babies and H likes it mashed.

Also try sticks of celery as they are nice and cool on their gums.. xx
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:17 pm 
Post subject:
Sounds like she is doing brilliantly hun! Cant remember when Sophs really properly started chewing, think it was a month or so in to weaning.

Eggs and mash are both fine. Scrambled egg is really nice mixed with a bit of cheese and chopped tomato. The tomato adds sweetness and a bit of colour. I sometimes add milk, but sometimes do without. It does come out chunkier though if using milk!

With mash, it is easier to hold onto if mixed with a bit of grated cheese, but also fine as it is.

hth,

Mandy xx
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:30 pm 
Post subject:
Glad to have two more ideas! Thank you.
I have some carrots to use, keep meaning to prepare one for Isabelle, and to get some brocolli - also she had a taste of cauliflower cheese a week or so ago and loved it. Hadn't thought about celery Smile
Still feels really early for chewing! But glad she's on track xx

StaceyRD
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:08 pm 
Post subject:
Hi laides. After some ideas for proper meal times, maybe something we can all eat together? Isabelle senses when we have different food and will always want ours instead!
Also, are there any spreads that should be avoided on toast/bread? I've heard strawberry isn't good before a year so haven't used that yet, but not sure if there's anything else?
Isabelle had broccoli the other day but much prefered to squish it than eat it, still, that was a fun messy time! Keep meaning to get around to doing scrambled egg, maybe I'll remember tomorrow.
x

gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:25 pm 
Post subject:
Anything you have she can have, provided there is no added salt. and obv chilli isnt wise.

Some of Sophia's favs include pasta and meatballs, Lasagne (she had these almost straight after weaning) cut into strips. At first i made chunky veggie lasagnes and cut the pasta into strips. Fusili pasta works best when first weaning as its easy to hold and doesnt grip too much sauce, though is better seperate from the sauce at first.

She likes strips of meat with two veg, potato wedges work great too.

Sophia aslo like baby curries (can pm a couple of recipes if you like?). A tip with rice though, to make it easy to hold (and can also be used for cous cous too) is to slightly over cook and then press into a weaning pot and turn onto the plate. t helps stick the rice or cous cous into a lump making it easier to handle.

another easy one is a casserole.

Generally, whatever we have she has, just at first, we would adapt the shapes of things to make easier for her to hold.

Hope that helps, willll try to think of more ideas,

MAndy xx
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:53 pm 
Post subject:
It would be lovely if you could message them, thanks. I'm looking to buy a book but my local store has none at the mo Rolling Eyes
Isabelle's had pasta and enjoyed it, I haven't tried meat-y things yet as I wasn't sure how to give. Defeats the object of BLW if I change the food to give her it, but I'm still new to this! Say if I have chicken, I can give her a strip? No exceptions there either?
My rice always comes out like that! Laughing Not tried her with that yet actually, should be fun!
Huge thank you xx

gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
Cool, will pm you soon when i find them on me computer!

Yeah, meat is fine, a tip though is to cut the meat in strips against the grain, like if it runs left to right, cut top to bottom. The reason is that it will break apart more easily.

You probs will find its just sucked at first, but this is all good, as the goodness is in the juices so still worthwhile.

Chicken in strips sounds perfect!

Not quite sure of the title, but have seen on amazon that Gill Rapley has brought out a Baby Led Weaning recipe book. May be well worth a look. Am also looking for books. Have found some of the Anabel Karmel stuff is good if you look at the plus nine months and beyond recipes. I like her butternut squash risotto and her chicken and apple balls, and her pancakes.... Hmmmm, now getting hungry! Laughing Was looking at books today and might invest in her finger foods book but not sure as only had a quick look before little lady got frustrated and we had to go!

MAndy xx

MAndy xx
Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:14 pm 
Post subject:
Ooh I didn't even know this sticky was here Embarassed Laughing

I'm going down the BLW route this time as Harry just seems to prefer it.He hated purees,would just cry half way through,so my HV suggested finger foods,and here we are!

But we are getting very stuck for ideas as I'm still a bit nervy with certain things.Over all though he is doing fantastically well for being so young and tiny for his age!

His fave is just plain old bread and butter,and he loves broccoli and roast parsnips.He can't manage bananas quite as well as they're a bit slippery for him as is mango.

He had his first yogurt today though.We're kind of just going with the flow tbh,just offering him bits at lunch and at tea and seeing of he wants them.

Any new ideas would be great x

jane1978
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:41 pm 
Post subject:
have you tried half peeling the banana and giving him it that way ? a lot easier to eat x
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular