OPK'S help required please ladies :-)

teehopes
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:50 am 
Post subject: OPK'S help required please ladies :-)
Ok so TTC for a year have decided to give opk's a try, I got the cheapy sticks off ebay, so the big question is when do I start using them, I am on CD6 today seems AF finally clearing off for this month, my cycles have been as follows:
June 34days
May 28 days
April 31 days
March 36 days
Feb 33 days
Jan 29 days

Confused.... and when I have read up about them it seems some say different days to start, I want to try and pinpoint my ovulation as I think we keep missing it each month..

Thanks to anyone with any advice.. xx
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:20 am 
Post subject:
if it was me i would prob start on day 13 / 14 going by your cycles, do you know how long you LP is??

teehopes
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:21 am 
Post subject:
No I dont understand how to work out LP? Embarassed this is the first month to start with OPK's so I can get a bit more of an understanding about my body and when I ovulate etc.. thanks for replying Smile
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 am 
Post subject:
Going by your shortest cycle 28 days & taking the longest LP of 16 days I'd prob start testing on cd10 as you could ov as early as cd12. Going by your longest cycle and a shorter LP or 12 days you *should* expect to ov by cd24. So about 14 days of testing, that's why I love the cheapies so much as my cycles can be 80+days so can imagine the amount of opks I get thru testing 2 x per day!!
Not many people know their LP length so don't worry, you'll get to know what it is once you've got your +ve opk and when your af/bfp arrives. Good luck! xx

bezahig
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:31 am 
Post subject:
your LP is the amount of time from Ovulation until your AF arrives. So if you OV on day 14 and AF arrives on day 28 then you have a 14 day LP. They say a healthy LP is 12-14 days.

Have you tried charting your temps using Fertility Friend? This may be easier to pin point your ovulation and the length of your LP.

If you just want to try OPK's at the min take your shortest cycle at 28 days - less an average lp of 14days and start testing from then but with your cycles being up and down i would go for testing a couple of days before that just incase up to when you get a positive. Dont use first morning urine tho and always try and test at the same time every day, when i was using them i used to test at about 11am and then again about 6pm. Good luck!!

teehopes
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
thanks everyone for replying I am going to give it a go with OPK's this month then i might do the temping next month, I hope the cheapie ones are ok Crying or Very sad I just wanted to try and thought as I am not 100% sure what I am doing I will go with the cheap ones first!
So I think I might start testing on CD10 this month to try and work out what is going on!
Who would have ever thought it would be this tough, you dont think it will ever take that long and all these other things out there, I was going to try the SOY too but maybe that in a couple of months try with these first Confused
thanks for advise, I will start the testing on sat as that will be CD10, so do I have to do two a day or just one about lunch time??

thanks again
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:16 pm 
Post subject:
Hello, I have to do opk for my frozen embryo transfer ivf cycle and the clinic told me to start testing on day 10. They suggest using the clear blue ones but I have just bought the internet cheapies too and havent had a problem with them. I find testing twice a day works best, around 10.30 am and 3pm. Good luck.
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:35 am 
Post subject:
Brilliant glad I think I have enough Laughing I am going to start on CD10 and just see what happens, so when there are two lines on the test that means I am ovualting?? will it be quite dark and should I know thats it??is that the time to get BD Wink THANKS I will have to do them about 12pm and 5pm due to work hours etc.. should that be ok??
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:12 pm 
Post subject:
Im sure those times will be ok. The second line has to be the same as the first, so it can make you quite obsessive! I had a good line this morning but not quite as dark as the control line so have had to do 2 more tests since, neither have been as dark cos my wee is obviously too concentrated now!

When you get a positive, it means you have your surge of LH hormone, this means you will ovulate in the next few days, usually 2-4 days after, so start BD on or day before surge then continue a few days after.

Hope that helps.
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:58 am 
Post subject:
Thanks fc79 for your advise, I will probably keep re-reading it over again to make sure it goes in! thanks fingers crossed Very Happy
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:17 am 
Post subject:
i would also advise starting on cd10. you can get a faint line now and again through your cycle but when ov is on its way you will see the line starts to get darker the couple of days before.
make sure you keep writing your dates down - from mine i could see that even if i had a longer cycle by a day or 2 my lp was always 15days so knew when to expect af/bfp.

good luck!

X

teehopes
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:09 pm 
Post subject:
Brilliant thanks for that, I will write in my little diary when its darker etc... I hadnt told my OH that I bought them - I got them on my ebay account which we both use and he obv saw them (not that I would hide it from him just forgot) he said to me last night you arent going to be demanding me to come home at dinner are you when you get whatever you need to - like monica and chandler on friends!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing he does make me laugh I just said yeah you had better be prepared he works right near me so if I get a positive I will be ringing him to come for lunch at home Laughing Laughing

andie - I have seen about your scans it seems you have had a really tough time I hope everything is ok with you and baby bean Smile

did you use OPKS??
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:36 pm 
Post subject:
thank you!
yes i used opk's every month -the smiley gets addictive!!! i used the cb digi ones as you get a smiley face when positive and empty circle when negative so no need to interpret any lines (although you can still see the lines when you take the stick out so can see build up of colour towards ov)
lots of people get on fine with the cheapies but the 1 month i used them i missed ov as the line wasnt as dark as i though it should be for positive.
its best to test in the afternoon (as lh builds up through the day...many have got on fine testing in the morning though) and you should limit your fluid intake & toilet breaks for 4hrs before testing for the most accurate results.
good luck!!!
X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular